Men's Health posted by

I have an egg-shaped lump coming out of my heel

I have an egg-shaped lump coming out of my heel

Bill, 65, fell of his roof 10 years ago. His fall caused a calcaneal fracture – a fracture in his heel bone – in his right foot and a Lisfranc fracture in his left foot, which is a foot injury that occurs when one of the metatarsal bones is displaced from the tarsus. Now he has a swollen area above his Achilles tendon that it is hard and is about the size of an egg. What’s wrong with his feet and ankles and what can he do about it?

Harry’s advice:

Bill, I’m not sure how much advice I can give you without seeing you. What you have sounds very serious and needs to be looked at. Have you been to a doctor?

Your doctors thought it was gout, but it’s not gout. They don’t know what it is, but they’ve suggested physical therapy. That’s a start, at least.

Normally, I’d say to alternate cold and hot and see if it feels better, but I think you’re way beyond that. Whatever happened ten years ago, I’m not sure if that’s what’s causing your problems now. You shouldn’t have anything hard and egg-shaped protruding out of your body anywhere.

I’m worried that you may have a partial rupture of your Achilles. You may also have osteophytes, also called bone spurs. Bone spurs are bony projections that form alongside joints.

If gentle exercises seem to help, then go with the physical therapy. Listen to your doctors. Hopefully you’ll be healed up soon and they’ll figure out what it is.

Listen to the call:

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

You must be logged in to post a comment.


Most Popular Articles