More children are visiting emergency departments in the United States due to accidental overdose of medication, according to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The report found each year one in every 150 two-year-old would be sent to the emergency department for overdosing – most often after finding and eating or drinking medicines without adult supervision.
“Parents may not be aware of the danger posed by leaving medications where young children can reach them. In recent years, the number of accidental overdoses in young children has increased by 20 percent,” said Dan Budnitz, M.D., M.P.H., director of CDC’s Medication Safety Program. “A few simple steps – done every time – can protect our children.”
The CDC recommends, parents and caregivers keep drugs out of the reach of children; put medicine away every time it is used; make sure you hear the bottle click before putting it way; and teach your children about medicine safety.