Men's Health posted by

‘My brother is in his 30s and has severe acne, how can he clean up his face?’

‘My brother is in his 30s and has severe acne, how can he clean up his face?’

Hayden is calling on behalf of her brother. He is 33 and has severe acne covering his face. He doesn’t have a job and doesn’t have a social life because of it. He has tried everything from homeopathic cures to prescriptions, but nothing has worked. What will help him with his acne?

My advice:

Your brother has an extreme case of acne vulgaris, or cystic acne. Antibiotics usually work well to treat acne, but it might not be a skin issue, it may be an abnormal hormone level issue. Certain male hormones can cause severe acne, so your brother needs to go see an endocrinologist.

First off, is your brother fat or muscular? Tall or short? I ask this because men who have too much testosterone early in their life can have this problem. If he developed really young and started shaving at an early age, these are signs that he has an excess of testosterone.

This isn’t caused by too much stress, or eating too much cheese, it’s a bigger problem than that. A dermatologist or doctor may you give lotions or antibiotics, but if they don’t work or make his acne worse, clearly the doctors he has been seeing are not getting to the root of the problem.

An endocrinologist is a doctor who deals specifically with hormone issues. Your endocrine system is an arrangement of glands that discharge hormones and these hormones can sometimes go awry and cause problems like extreme acne. Your brother could easily have a glandular issue. Topical treatments won’t help with hormonal problems. Only an endocrinologist can help with this one.

Listen to the audio:

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

You must be logged in to post a comment.


Most Popular Articles